Contact Us

Palestinian Authority says ready to assume full responsibility in Gaza

The Palestinian Authority announced Friday that it is fully prepared to take immediate control of Gaza following the ceasefire agreement.

Agencies and A News DIPLOMACY
Published January 17,2025
Subscribe

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas said on Friday the Palestinian Authority was ready to assume "full responsibility" in post-war Gaza, in his first statement since a ceasefire deal was announced.

"The Palestinian government, under president Abbas' directives, has completed all preparations to assume full responsibility in Gaza," including the return of the displaced, providing basic services, crossings management and reconstruction of the war-torn territory, a presidency statement said.

While Hamas has exercised full control in Gaza since 2007, its rival the Palestinian Authority (PA), dominated by the Fatah movement, runs the West Bank.

Hamas, which won the last Palestinian legislative elections in 2006, indicated earlier in the war that it was not seeking to govern post-conflict Gaza.

Hamas sources have told AFP they would be ready to hand over Gaza's civilian affairs to a Palestinian entity.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said last week that the PA should be the one to run the coastal territory.

Palestinian leaders across factions have long said that Gaza's future is for them to decide, rejecting any outside interference.